PDA

View Full Version : Jarrow memorablia

tedg
01 Feb 10, 11:29 PM
Has any got any bits of stuff from old Jarra.I've got the jarrow boat disaster glass.Two glasses engraved the turf hotel Jarrow,couple of St Peters Church magazine from the late 30's.A letter from Palmers band on the death of my Grand father,and a letter from Jarrow empire saying he had had lost his job in the band due to the introduction of the talkies.

jarraman
02 Feb 10, 3:48 AM
Good post. Might get some rare Jarrow items unearthed.

fisherman
02 Feb 10, 2:00 PM
Has any got any bits of stuff from old Jarra.I've got the jarrow boat disaster glass.Two glasses engraved the turf hotel Jarrow,couple of St Peters Church magazine from the late 30's.A letter from Palmers band on the death of my Grand father,and a letter from Jarrow empire saying he had had lost his job in the band due to the introduction of the talkies.I've got a few Record's (78s) from The Regal Picture House,possibly one or two of them from The Kino.

pronto105
05 Feb 10, 4:25 PM
My sister has two "Jarrow Peace Pots" from 1919.
They are about the same size and shape as a pint glass but in china with the Jarrow Borough coat of arms on them. I believe they were given to Jarrow's school children to celebrate the end of the Great War. One was my late dad's and the the other was either his deceased brother's or sister's.

When sister comes back from hols I will contact her and ask her to get some photos of them.

Has anyone else seen or heard of them.

jarraman
05 Feb 10, 4:39 PM
Hi Pronto, Ive never heard of them before, but several months ago there was some WW1 Jarrow memorobilia for sale on ebay and this rings a bell.

Be great to get some photos and maybe a new photo album for old Jarrow Memorabilia.

Birdman
05 Feb 10, 4:42 PM
We used to have something that sounded like "Peace pot" but I wouldn't encourage anyone to drink from it.

We kept it under the bed...........:o:o

Mary
05 Feb 10, 6:01 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Birdman
06 Feb 10, 5:23 PM
My sister has two "Jarrow Peace Pots" from 1919.
They are about the same size and shape as a pint glass but in china with the Jarrow Borough coat of arms on them. I believe they were given to Jarrow's school children to celebrate the end of the Great War. One was my late dad's and the the other was either his deceased brother's or sister's.

When sister comes back from hols I will contact her and ask her to get some photos of them.

Has anyone else seen or heard of them.

I tried googling "peace pots" but didn't come up with anything resembling your description pronto105. It'll be interesting to see a photo. The only memorabilia I have of Jarrow is me birth certificate and a picture of me dad. :)

Birdman
06 Feb 10, 5:47 PM
I came across this on e-bay. Not the Jarrow coat of arms but still a 1919 peace pot with the names of the allies either side of the figure.

tedg
07 Feb 10, 12:00 AM
The letters from the Empire and Palmers band

Jarrowlass
07 Feb 10, 2:45 PM
I have a printed receipt from my late grandfathers coal and haulage firm, which was at 6 Watson St. in the 30s, any ideas where Watson St. is or was?.
Also have my late dads LABOUR CERTIFICATE from 1934, which he recieved on leaving St. Peters school at 14yrs of age, with a outstanding school report on the reverse. Issued by Borough of Jarrow Education Committee.

fisherman
07 Feb 10, 3:42 PM
I come across a small enamel badge a long time ago, on it, it say's Jarrow Boy's Club,anyone know anything about this club,I'll have to sort it out,that's if I can remember where I put it.

Cait
08 Feb 10, 2:30 PM
Just read this thread..I will ask family/friends to have a sort out and see what turns up....:)

pronto105
04 Jul 10, 10:54 PM
further to my posting of 5th Feb 2010, regarding the "Jarrow Peace Pots". I said my said my sister had two-Wrong she has three.
There is an inscription "Jarrow Peace Celebrations July 19th 1919".
I have sent an email to Tyne and Wear Museum service requesting info on the items.

fisherman
05 Jul 10, 10:13 PM
I'm sure there was a coal business beside the old station stairs in Jarrow. I remember the name of the firm but not the exact location.Hi Joanii,there's a Rest Home for elderley people there now,you will find a photo of it under the title of Fisherman's Photo's of Jarrow.

pronto105
07 Jul 10, 7:26 PM
reply from Tyne and Wear Museum
These may have been issued to individual schoolchildren to mark the signing of the Treaty of the Peace of Versailles on 28 June 1919 which laid out the the formal conditions for the ending of World War One. We have Logbooks from several Jarrow schools of the period which may contain references to these celebrations and issue of the "Peace pots". Details of these can be seen on our User Guide 15 : Schools - South Tyneside which can be found on our website www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/userguides (http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/userguides) . We also have Minutes of the Jarrow Higher Education Sub-Committee. These include the Minutes of the Annual Report of the Head Master of Jarrow Secondary School for 1918 - 1919, held on 16 October 1919, which make brief reference to the Peace Celebrations (T10/229). The Jarrow Borough Council Minutes for 10 July 1919 also contain a similar brief reference to the Peace Celebrations (MB.JA/4/23). You are welcome to visit our public searchroom to look at these documents. Details of our location and opening times can be found on www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/visit (http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/visit). If this is not possible you may like to make use of our Paid Research Service. Further details can be found on www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/research (http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/research) .

I also suggest that you contact the Local History Section of South Shields Central Library, Prince Georg Square, South Shields, NE33 2PE, e-mail localstudies.library@southtyneside.gov.uk (localstudies.library@southtyneside.gov.uk). They may have local newspapers of that date containing reports about the issuing of these items.

fisherman
06 Oct 11, 9:22 PM
I went back to photo exhibition In Hebburn today,I met a man who now live's In Morpeth,anyway we got chatting and he told me about 2 Jarrow Coronation Medal's he had with him,They used to belong to his mother,I asked If It would be possible to get some photo's of them for Jarrowlife.So here they are.The Medal In pic 3 & 4,wasn't In as good condition as Pic.1 & 2. I hope you like them.:).

Pauline M
08 Oct 11, 2:25 PM
Excellent information & photos Fisherman :)